Water Facts! Please contribute your own facts about water by adding a comment below.
- 75% of the earth is covered with water and 97% of it is ocean, which leaves only 3% which can be used as drinking water
- 70% of an adult human body is water and a human being can only live without water for approximately 1 week
- The average person in the US uses between 80-100 gallons of water a day of which toilet flushing takes up the largest amount. In the middle ages and in many other places on earth, a person uses under 5 gallons of water a day.
- Much more fresh water is stored under ground in aquifers than on the earth’s surface
- 49% of US drinking water comes from ground water (Nat’l Groundwater Association)
- The EPA monitors groundwater for only approximately 90 of the 2100 toxic chemicals and contaminants in water that can cause cancer
- Pure water has a neutral PH of 7 (neither acidic or basic)
- The Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974 protects public drinking water supplies