Water Facts

Water Facts!  Please contribute your own facts about water by adding a comment below.

  • 75% of the earth is covered with water and 97% of it is ocean, which leaves only 3% which can be used as drinking water
  • 70% of an adult human body is water and a human being can only live without water for approximately 1 week
  • The average person in the US uses between 80-100 gallons of water a day of which toilet flushing takes up the largest amount. In the middle ages and in many other places on earth, a person uses under 5 gallons of water a day.
  • Much more fresh water is stored under ground in aquifers than on the earth’s surface
  • 49% of US drinking water comes from ground water (Nat’l Groundwater Association)
  • The EPA monitors groundwater for only approximately 90 of the 2100 toxic chemicals and contaminants in water that can cause cancer
  • Pure water has a neutral PH of 7 (neither acidic or basic)
  • The Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974 protects public drinking water supplies

3 thoughts on “Water Facts

  1. Tena Lacasse

    For Christmas this year our family charities all had to do with clean water so what perfect timing for this book. I have to take a look at this one. What a great subject.

    Reply
  2. RD Blakeslee

    A mojority of the water wells in the Monroe County are contaminated.

    A water well on our place was drilled in the early 1970s. It is contaminated.

    The County gets an average of thirty inches of rain a year.

    The atmosphere is quite a good filter and the cistern we have used for 34 years provides clean water with minimal treatment.

    Reply
  3. myles Post author

    I love when this argument comes out. So, because many wells are already contaminated (primarily with agricultural fecal matter) that means…

    We should NOT worry about contaminating our water wells!?!?!?!?! Because they’re already contaminated!?!?!

    NOOOOO….that means we need to be EXTRA careful NOT to contaminate the limited supply of water we have left.

    And many of us are still on wells or springs and would like to stay that way.

    And finally, if the county goes industrial, your precious atmosphere may not serve as such a great filter anymore. Yeah, air pollution from fracking also a very serious concern and the target of much study currently.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>